Friday, October 11, 2013

31 days in Anticipation of Expecting - Medicines,Vitamins,Supplements - Day 11


** Please note…I am not a doctor, nurse, or medical practitioner – I’m just documenting the things I've researched and been told, and tried.  Please see your own medical practitioner before making any changes.**

Let me start out by saying…I am terrible at taking pills. I just don’t like to do it…I don’t know why…it’s in my genes and its crazy.

Medication:
For PCOS I have been prescribed Metformin.  Metformin has been used to treat both Type 2 Diabetes and PCOS. Metformin treats insulin resistance and suppresses glucose production by the liver. Metformin is often given with Clomid to help with Ovulation.
I haven’t chosen to move down the Clomid path just yet. I have a personal goal to get my blood sugar in the normal range for a month before moving onto Clomid.

Vitamins:
These are my daily vitamin. There is something about them, the gummies for grown-ups. We are taking the rest of the bottle we currently have. It’s one of the things I like about them, Ryan takes them too.
I am then moving into a pre-natal vitamin. After a good bit of research I am looking for a vitamin that includes the following:
·         400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid.
·         400 IU of vitamin D.
·         200 to 300 milligrams (mg) of calcium.
·         70 mg of vitamin C.
·         3 mg of thiamine.
·         2 mg of riboflavin.
·         20 mg of niacin.
·         6 mcg of vitamin B12.
·         10 mg of vitamin E.
·         15 mg of zinc.
·         17 mg of iron.
My problem with vitamins is they normally upset my stomach. I am hoping to find one that is easy on my tummy but also has everything that is recommended to support growing life.

Supplements:
I’m always a little skeptical when it comes to supplements. My sweet Mother put the fear of God in me over some diet pills in high school and I just haven’t been able to take the hocus-pocus out of them.
After reading some other blogs on PCOS and Infertility I noticed a trend towards a supplement called Daily Wellness Company Fertility Blend for Women .  The product comes with pretty great reviews, and after learning about its ingredients, I discovered that it includes many of the standalone herbs that other more naturalistic approaches offered to treat my symptoms.


I am trying to take this three times a day as listed on the bottle. As I said earlier, I would be much more likely to take this if it was a one a day variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment